Welcome to Year One!
In our topic work for this half term we are learning about different celebrations and finding out how these are an important part of human life. We are learning how all people in the world take part in and hold celebrations to mark special occasions, from birthdays to religious and cultural events. This will involve researching at home about special family celebrations, looking at artefacts and images from different cultures, listening to different types of celebratory music and designing a product for a celebration.
In English we are exploring the story of Handa’s Surprise, writing captions for the pictures and looking for wow words that describe the different fruits. We will also be writing letters, lists and labels around the theme of Christmas, learning how to lay out our work in different formats for different purposes.
In Maths we are learning:
- how to count one more and less than a given number between 0 and 30
- how to measure height, length, weight and time
- how to sequence different events of the day and name the days of the week, the months of the year and the date.
- how to name 2D and 3D shapes
- how to describe different positions and movements such as on, under, over, left and right.